Monday, September 29, 2008

Week 5 and 6

Due to some crazy scheduling issues, we decided to put 2 lessons into one week. The first was a playing lesson where I learned the basics of power chords. Little did I know those chords were the basis for all the great songs I listened to growing up. Even more interesting was my 20 something teacher enjoys music from that era.

The calluses on my fingertips, however, are beginning to get in the way of my playing. It seems the edges of them are lifting up and catching on the strings which really makes changing chords difficult. Then I realized it was all part of the process and was reassured that the calluses would remain but the scaly tips would wear away. Whew...glad to hear that as I don't want to go through rebuilding those babies again.

Lesson # 2 this week was a non-playing lesson. I learned how to restring a guitar as well as learning some basic guitar care and maintenance. This was also a chance, with the strings off the body, to get a closer look and the hollow box that is the acoustic.

Gregg

No comments: