Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The first Lesson

I felt like a school kid again as I sat in the front room of the studio, rental guitar by my side. The fact that I was older than all the fathers who were waiting for their kids to finish their lessons didn't go unnoticed. My good friend Dave reminded me that perhaps they were looking at me, wishing they had taken up guitar. Maybe you're right buddy. At any rate, I was a bit nervous and briefly thought about sneaking out the back door....except I couldn't find it.

After a short wait a young man emerged from one of the classrooms and called my name. I won't say anything about his hair or clothes because if I do, I will have officially turned into my dad, may he rest in peace. Josh was to be my instructor. A 20 something, known for having great people skills, and one of the teachers at the Flying Hands School of Arts.

After the handshakes and hello's we got down to business. He assessed both my musical as well as guitar background and charted a course of action. What impressed me most about Josh, was his ability to relate to his own experiences, as a one-time beginner, and let me know all the mistakes I made were common. Well, that and the fact that he didn't laugh.

30 quick minutes later I left with a handful of exercises and an excitement that this little journey's final underway. I also left with very sore fingers.

Gregg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you for working on your bucket list. Probably a few of the parents were wishing they had the nerve to try something new also. Remember to take time to practice, just like your trumpet days.